This animation presents the experimental setup that enables the recording of the resting membrane potential as well as the origin of this potential.
- To understand the experimental setup used to record the resting membrane potential.
- To understand the idea of potential difference.
- To understand that this potential difference is the result of a disequilibrium among ions on the interior and exterior of the cell.
- To understand how the resting potential is actively maintained by the nerve cell.
- To understand the central role of the Na+-K+-ATPase pump in maintaining this ionic disequilibrium.
- To clarify the role of ATP in nerve cell function
The recording of the membrane resting potential requires :
- A segment of the giant axon of a squid, as this material for study is easy to obtain and, given its size, also easy to manipulate.…
Subscribe now to read more about this topic!