Sydney Harbour Bridge HTML5
The Sydney Harbour Bridge was built in 8 years.
- Where: Sydney (Australia)
- Opening ceremony: March 19, 1932
- Central span: 503 m
- Total length: 1149 m
- Height: 49 m under the central span
- Weight of the arch: 39000 tons (= 100 Boeing 747)
- Number of rivets: 6,000,000
- Length of work: 8 years
- Cost: 6.25 M£ (Australian pound)
- Human toll: 16 deaths
The Sydney Harbour Bridge is a metal arch bridge (See eduMedia animation on different types of bridges).
The metal structure rests solely on 4 bearings. During construction, each half arch was held by a hundred steel cables. These cables were removed once the arch was completed in 1930.
Click on the pins of the timeline to open the pictures.
Click on the picture to zoom in.
- Summarize and simplify the main steps when creating a work of art.
- Discover an exceptional industrial heritage.
- Promote careers in civil engineering.